Friday, June 5, 2009

Surfside Burger Shack

I heard about a new burger joint, so I thought, why not? I like burgers. So off to the Surfside Burger Shack we went. The sign on the door said “Home of the ½ lb Burger”. I thought that meant there was a ½ lb burger on the menu for those who were really hungry. I was wrong. Their hamburgers have a half a pound of grass fed ground beef hand formed into a patty, slapped in a bun of matching proportions, and complimented by fresh produce of your choice (I chose everything). That’s a lot of hamburger. Then, they have the double. I’m just not carnivorous enough for that.
The service was friendly, the wait just a little long. That was OK though, they make up for it with the Ms. Pac Man table game and Star Wars pinball machine. They have a jukebox with a selection that’ll take you back to when Ms. Pac Man was everywhere. There were prints on the wall from a local artist I enjoyed. It is a bit crowded in there, with Subway Sandwich-style benches and table (it’s located in the old Subway on 5th). That’ll keep me from lingering too long there, but I don’t think that’s really the point to this place anyway.
While the burgers were big and fresh, they were just a little bland. I’m sure there are plenty of folks who enjoy their ground beef straight, but I found myself wishing they had some sort of “Surfside Secret Spice” that livened up the grass-fed beef a bit.
They have lots of options on their menu, and I saw a pile of onion rings on someone else’s plate that impressed me. So, I’ll be going back to see what else they have to offer. They are definitely worth another chance. I heard Papa Houli will be playing there Sat. June 6th 2-5pm. There’s as good an excuse as any to try a Gardenburger with bacon and see what beer they have on tap.

Burgers in the $6-8 range, with combo prices.
5th &F, Eureka

2 comments:

  1. I just ate there today. I went for the salmon burger and was pleasantly surprised. And I loved their fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food is good, but it is VERY expensive for a burger place. Like, obscenely expensive. I was a kind of shocked at the total price of my order.

    ReplyDelete