Sunday, October 4, 2009

3 Foods Cafe

Adventurous food, first class service, and Monty Python references. The place is called 3 Foods Cafe, “an experiment in love and beauty”, as their website claims. The experiment is going well, I think, and I hope they can continue to add variables and scenarios for a long time to come.

I just have fun at this place every time I go. It's fun to order something called “the Dark and Gruesome” , or the “What the?”. I especially enjoy the “How do I eat this?”. Believe me, if you're brave enough to try, you will be rewarded.

This is when I try to explain or describe their food to give you an idea of what to expect. I can't. I just can't. How does one categorize macaroni and cheese with bacon and apples? What genre of delicious does a bowl of spices served with pita bread and olive oil fit in? Not just any spices mind you- some crazy concoction that makes you want to live a love story in the far east. So, I'll leave the food description at Yummy! and move on to ambiance.

There's a story in the building, though I've forgotten the details. You certainly get a feeling of the story from the back wall, covered in old varnished redwood. It once looked down on machinery, men working in dirt and grease, I think. Now, the enormously tall wall graciously glows on happy diners, bouncing their animated voices back to them.

Yeah, that's a bit of a bummer. While the look and feel of the place is lovely and unique, it is rather loud. That and hard seats are the only drawbacks I've discovered. But, I'm more than willing to “endure” such “hardships” for a tall glass of lavender lemonade, or a big ol' chocolate mandarin martini (made with Soju) while I await my next adventure to be served to me on a plate!

I know times are still hard, and it may be difficult to justify dinner out. Luckily, 3 Foods falls in the affordable range for most people. The menu items range from $3 to $13. Tuesdays is their $5 all you can eat spaghetti night. That's a fair price to pay to nurture your body and soul.


3 Foods Cafe

Behind the Co-Op on J st, Arcata

822-WISH

1 comment:

  1. I post a hearty second to this recommendation. It's been a while since we ate there but after reading this I feel compelled to go try a "What the??!!"

    ReplyDelete