Friday, May 22, 2009

Pho’ Thiên Long Vietnamese Restaurant

Everything I know about Vietnam I learned in public high school. That should tell you I know very little, and it’s probably wrong. So, I don’t have the slightest idea what Vietnamese food is supposed to be like. If the food served at this restaurant is any indication, then the Vietnamese have a good thing going.

The service was prompt and friendly, the décor mellow and cozy, and the seating was comfy (we were in a booth). The seating in any place is important enough to warrant its own comment. I like to linger, and if my butt falls asleep, I find it difficult to focus on the food or company. I also liked the way the menu was put together. While it can be fun to look for classic “engrish”, I found this well organized, clearly written and descriptive menu to be a great help in choosing a food adventure.

I had the Vermicelli Noodle Bowl with Grilled Lemongrass Chicken. It was tasty and crunchy, and the “Nuoc Mam” – a sauce served on the side- added just the right sweet and sour. I also tried the “Soda Xi Muoi”; salted plums in club soda. I really, really, wanted to like it. There was a lot of salt though, and I couldn’t finish it. I will try again though. Some tastes are worth acquiring.

My fellow adventurer had the BBQ pork and eggroll rice plate, with a glass of coconut juice (including slices of coconut!). When I asked him how it was, there was lots of nodding and chewing and a thumbs up.

If you’re worried about too much hot spice, don’t; it’s on the table in unmarked bottles. You can leave it there, or slather it on your plate. I don’t know how traditional that is, and I don’t care. It’s the best way for my wimpy palate and my fire-eating husband to enjoy the same entrée.

Their menu is pretty long, and I look forward to working my way through it. With prices ranging from $6 to $11 per entrée, it’s an indulgence within my relatively restricted means.

615 F St, Eureka. Across from the Eureka Theater.
Have you eaten there? Share your adventure in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! So hungry now! And at a price I think we can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that someone is trying to fill the gap that The Smile of Siam left when it closed. Thanks. -Robert

    ReplyDelete